The cake is flavoured with gin and lemon, filled with stewed blackberries and decorated with a gin, lemon and blackberry spiked icing. Not the booziest cake in the world, around half the amount of gin compared to my recent elderflower gin drizzle cake, but very delicious. The cake is lovely and moist and the icing is very zingy, I just wish blackberry season hadn't ended so I could bake this again.
For the cake:
225g caster sugar
225g unsalted butter
225g self raising flour
zest 1 lemon finely grated
For the filling:
4-5 dessertspoonfuls of stewed blackberries with vanilla
For the icing:
300g icing sugar
juice of half a lemon
1.5 tsp juice from stewed blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.
- Cram together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time followed by the lemon zest and the gin. Fold in the flour then divide the batter between the 2 tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave until cold.
- When the cakes are cold, place one layer on a plate and then spread over the stewed blackberries and sandwich the second layer on top.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and add the lemon juice and 25ml of the gin to start with. Mix to a thick paste consistency (add the rest of the gin if it is too stiff) and then mix in the blackberry juice, don't worry if a few seeds end up in there, and you should get a lovely pinky purple colour.
- Spread the icing thickly over the cake and leave to set for about an hour before serving,
For more boozy cake inspiration have a look at these recipes:
My boozy cakes are sloe gin cupcakes, creme de cassis cake and elderflower gin drizzle cake.
A few more cocktail inspired cakes from the blogosphere:
Chocolate Baileys cupcakes with chocolate baileys buttercream icing - from Maison Cupcake
Cider punch drizzle loaf cakes - from Feeding Boys & Firefighter
Peach bellini cake - from United Cakedom which I enjoyed at cake club last week
Strawberry daiquiri traybake - from I'd Much Rather Bake Than...
Pina Colada Swiss roll - from Supergolden Bakes
As I want to share my love of gin in cakes around a bit I'm linking up with the following blog events. Cook Blog Share, Bake of the Week and Recipe of the Week.